24 November 2012
Last updated at 20:06 ET
Music writer and producer Nile Rodgers was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer just over two years ago.
He now frequently walks the streets of New York to help his recuperation, and still blogs musings of his musical journey. BBC producer Paul McClean spent time with Nile following his footsteps.
When he was first diagnosed with cancer, in shock, Nile refused to cancel a gig that weekend in Rome.
“I still didn’t internalise that information,” he says calmly.
Continue reading the main story
Find out more
- Nile Rodgers has penned many memorable hit songs with his own band Chic, and spent the 1970s and 1980s writing and producing records for Madonna, David Bowie, Diana Ross, Sister Sledge and Duran Duran
- In 2010, Rodgers was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer that nearly claimed his life
- As part of his recovery regime, he began to take a daily walk and blog on the memories they produced
- Walking on Planet C is broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 11:00 GMT on Monday 26 November
- In the programme, Nile Rodgers recreates some of his well-trodden paths with microphone in hand